Friday, July 18, 2014

The First Roast

Summertime for me often stands for warm breezes, sweet beer and good food. The feeling of a good sunburn and the smell of barbeque make life a little sweeter. I got a major summer fix during the past couple of weeks what with 4th of July and really spectacular weather, distracting me from my research task at hand.

Amidst all of the festivities, however, I did manage to make one stop in to a small little coffee shop in Long Beach. Makai Coffee is in the Belmont Heights area of LBC, and is a humble contender amongst its fierce competitors. Although they don't have their own roast, they serve a couple local beans, usually including Rose Park Roasters, the decaf on deck for this particular day.






It was a warm, sunny day so I decided to order a decaf iced coffee. After I received my drink, I sat outside and assessed the beverage. I kept in mind 'bourbon....bourbon' however that isn't much of the flavor I tasted. I tasted more of a burnt sugar flavor, the way that a really good caramel tastes when its taken to a dark, rich level, just before burning. I got more sweet notes than savory. Many decaf espressos are bitter and dry, but this roast was very smooth and medium-bodied. It fed my craving generously, giving me the sweet, but not overly, fix that I needed for that warm early-afternoon.




Overall, I would give Makai an 8 out of 10. (I swear not all of my reviews will be 8's). Stop by soon to check out my next review!

-A




#MakaiCoffee #LBC #Coffee #RoseParkRoasters

No comments:

Post a Comment